Tummy tuck recovery – not as bad as you think
Although the recovery can vary greatly from patient to patient, these are the guidelines that I give at the time of the consultation:
- walking in a stooped position for 3 or 4 days
- standing normally and able to go for short walks after day 4
- return to work (desk job) after two weeks
- light exercise (not using the abs) after four weeks
- full activities (gradually) after six weeks
The most common comment I get from my patients after a tummy-tuck is “it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be”. Many patients have had a previous c-section and most will tell me that the post tummy-tuck discomfort is less and that the recovery is easier. I routinely inject the sheath surrounding the abdominal muscles with a long-lasting anesthetic at the time of the surgery and this helps a great deal in minimising post-op pain and the need for narcotics.